It may surprise you to know that we all meditate. “But I don’t know how to meditate, I’ve never been taught”. So, when do we really meditate? Is it when we have joined a special training modality like yoga or perhaps tai chi? Well, they do teach you. In fact, you meditate when you’ve deliberately or unknowingly put yourself into a hypnotic state and sort of drifted off in your mind. This is the time when you may become very susceptible to suggestions. Scary thought huh? It can happen almost anywhere and at anytime.
But relax, you see, you can always be in full control of your senses and not allow someone to manipulate you. But, you complain that all those ads by Coca Cola during a ball game and I just want a bottle of it! True, but will you need to when you are aware that is going on and then simply unhypnotize yourself? That will be simply fun a confidence boosting won’t it? To control your emotions is even more wonderful.
If you’re interested, then here’s how to do an effective yet simple meditation. Note: if the instructions appear to be different than from another modality, know that I have been with many mentors and I found this method very simple to accomplish. In fact, you can do this almost anywhere But NEVER while in operation of a machine. OK? Here goes. Know that you can meditate effectively.
1) You must first of all be in a safe environment. In a bus, car, on your bed, in a construction site, on the mountain side, on a hike with friends or guides, etc. It matters not where you are. Just be and feel safe.
2) Then relax your mind. You see, it’s your mind that must be comfortable. You tell yourself that you are comfortable. Make this a definite willed command and also, you can make it a pleasurable time. Your mind, body, spirit and soul will begin to believe you with practice. In fact, it will literally become a pleasure, like eating that great desert, or hugging your pet.
3) As you begin to relax, be mindful of your intention for this meditation. One error of practice is to simply let your mind go blank. Well, remember what I told you about being susceptible to suggestions? Well, a blank mind wants to be filled naturally. So, to harness that power of your sub-conscious or some people will even tell you it’s your soul, tell your mind what is it you intend to accomplish from this meditation.
4) What do you want to ask to meditate about? Most people ask about something that worries them. That’s an error. If you want to ask about a problem, ask to have the answer to your problem and not focus on the problem, but the answer. Get it?
5) Find the answer by relaxing as above. Then tell your body, mind, spirit and soul what you want to accomplish. Then relax, feel your breath and keep telling your body mind, spirit and soul to relax and give you the answer you seek. As you notice yourself becoming very comfortable relaxed, begin to let your mind go blank. “Say what? But didn’t you tell me to…just now?”
6) Yes, but keep being relaxed now because you have told your whole self: your body, mind, spirit and soul to do something for you. You may think that your mind is going blank, but you will soon feel like there is something that you can do or have. You will start thinking of things you can do to deal with your request. And you will feel that sense of “hey, this is good and logical and I can simply do it after all.”
7) Trust it. And make notes of ALL the ideas you have just received and put them together. No, some marketing wizard did not whisper sweet, empty calories in your ear. In fact, scientists, gurus and others have their own terms for this and it’s called your sub-conscious mind, your soul or the universal intelligence giving you your request.
Remember, trust in your own abilities. Happy meditating.